Oriental Weavers was formed in 1979 in Egypt by Mohamed Farid Khamis, an Egyptian entrepreneur and industrialist who dreamt of making a name internationally. A few years and a lot of mesmerizing rug collections later, Oriental Weavers became a recognized name in the world of interior decor. The brand is also one of the largest machine-made rug manufacturers in the world since it exports it products to over 130 countries.
Oriental Weavers success was predicted from the very start since the name had managed to make great achievements even during the beginning of its formation. In 1985, the brand established its own design facility that become the world’s largest carpet design center. This was one of the first great steps towards expansion and by 1988, Oriental Weavers had their own showroom in the USA. Just a few years later, they established their own distributor called ‘Sphinx in the States and also ended up opening up one of their largest showroom’s in Atlanta.
To add to Oriental Weavers accolades, the brand devised their own 8 color loom in 1990 when the standard look was of 5 shades. In 2002, they also made a breakthrough in the industry with the world’s first 2 million points/m2 rug.
By 1994, the company had earned such popularity and profits that they were able to finally kickstart a manufacturing facility in America. The third manufacturing facility was set up in China in 2006.
Fun facts about Oriental Weavers
- In 2009, Oriental Weavers was honored by the Green Economy Financing Facility (GEFF) for their efforts towards protecting the environment. They had saved 42,0000 megawatt hours and 7,600 tons of carbon dioxide through methods that aided in environmentally sustainable production.
- In 2014 and 2015, Oriental Weavers won ‘The World’s Best Carpet’ Award. The winners are selected from survey results collected by Floor Covering News magazine.
- The brand also won the ‘World’s Magnificent Carpet Award 2015’ in Americas Mart Atlanta.
- Oriental Weavers provided Egypt’s the Cairo International Festival ceremony with an 1,800 sqm2 red carpet.
- Oriental Weavers won the crystal BT100award in 2019 for being a business that greatly benefits Egypt’s economy.
- The company funds and supports numerous educational institutes in providing scholarships for underprivileged students.
Rug collection by Oriental Weavers
Here are some renown rug collections by the brand:
- Kaleidoscope collection
- Tommy Bahama area rugs
- Atlas collection
- Andorra collection